[OS X TeX] Re: Placing of .bib files

Cleo so.net at live.com
Fri Oct 22 17:37:11 CEST 2010

Herbert Schulz <herbs at ...> writes:

> On Oct 22, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Jesper Duemose Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Hello guys,
> > I am new to this whole (La)TeX world and I want to use bibtex for managing
my bibliography and references.
> However I find it rather annoying having to place the .bib file in the same
folder as the .tex document. Is
> there a way to make bibtex find the .bib file without it being placed in the
folder of the currently used
> document (such as putting a sym link in a folder which is searched by default
by bibtex or whatever is the
> best solution)?
> > I tried searching the internet for a solution but I didn't find anything
that made any sense to me (I'm not
> too familiar with the folder structure of the tex distribution nor with
terminal in general)
> > I am using os x 10.5 and texlive 2010.
> >
> > Hope you can help. Kind regards,
> > Jesper
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you place your personal bib files in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/ and
personal bst files in
> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/ or sub-folders of those folders for organizational
purposes they will be
> found. Note that ~/Library/ is the Library folder in your HOME folder. If you
don't have the
> ~/Library/texmf/ folder and below just create them.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Hi,

I usually have my .bib file at a references folder, where I also put a copy of
my referenced papers and e-books.

Then, in the .tex file I just specify the path. For example

{\bibliography{IEEEfull,../../References/MybibFile}}

Hope this help.