[OS X TeX] Placing of .bib files

Jesper Duemose Nielsen jesperduemose at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:03:33 CEST 2010

Hello guys,
I am new to this whole (La)TeX world and I want to use bibtex for
managing my bibliography and references. However I find it rather
annoying having to place the .bib file in the same folder as the .tex
document. Is there a way to make bibtex find the .bib file without it
being placed in the folder of the currently used document (such as
putting a sym link in a folder which is searched by default by bibtex
or whatever is the best solution)?
I tried searching the internet for a solution but I didn't find
anything that made any sense to me (I'm not too familiar with the
folder structure of the tex distribution nor with terminal in general)
I am using os x 10.5 and texlive 2010.

Hope you can help. Kind regards,
Jesper