[OS X TeX] Too many Underfull \hbox warnings?

Don Green Dragon fergdc at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 22 08:35:01 CEST 2010

Hi Ross,

<<snip>>

>> Consistently, I get complaints about «Underfull \hbox» which I do not understand. For example
>>
>> Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 872--873
>>
>> and when I look to lines 872-873 I find:
>>
>> 872  \textbf{Length or Norm of a Vector}\\[-18pt]
>> 873  \end{defn}
>>

> You are not using \\ properly.
> It is for breaking a line of text which is to continue on the next line.
> But here you have no continuation, so TeX says it is Underfull.

Ok, I understand the complaint now. I should have realized that "\end{defn}" does not constitute text.

> Perhaps what you really want is
>
>     \par \skip{-21pt}
> allowing 3pt of parskip.

I'll work on that! Once I get {defn} working along the lines suggested by Michael Welsh, there will some "fixing up" to be carried out.  ;-)

<<snip>>

>> Still, I don’t understand the complaint about line 872. The source file typesets nicely, and I get what I want, but I wonder about all the warnings!
>
> Your coding has that you want to do something, then not done it. Hence you get a complaint about inconsistency.

Wow! Very good analysis!

> Hope this helps,

As usual, indeed it does!!  :-)

Don Green Dragon