[OS X TeX] Creates idx, wants ind

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 08:27:02 CEST 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2010, at 8:20 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Did you ever run makeindex
>>
>> Of course not!
>>
>> Much embarrassed but very grateful regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> Now here's a problem that can be easily fixed and put out of mind
> by using the pdflatexmk (or latexmk engine) which will automate
> that whole process! (Gonna push you into the 21st century
> yet! :-)). Move the inactive .engine files from ~/Library/TeXShop/
> Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ up two folders, to ~/Library/TeXShop/
> Engines/, and restart TeXShop. The pdflatexmk and latexmk engine
> files (as well as others you moved) should then appear in the
> engine popup menu on the source toolbar.
>
> Then put the line
>
> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk
>
> (for pdflatexmk, similar line for latexmk) at the top of your root
> file(s). From then on just use Typeset->Typeset (Cmt-T) and all the
> runs of (pdf)latex, bibtex, makeindex, etc., will be run for you.

Well, the reason I never installed latexmk is that I think about
generating the index only when I am reaching the end of the writing
because I am also using showidx. In other words, this is perhaps the
third or fourth time ever that I have been even thinking about
generating the index.

In fact, the only reason I was thinking of index at the beginning of
Vol 3 of the magnum was that the thread on "Chapter bibliographies"
had reminded me that I had long wanted to have Chapter indexes. (I
got chapter tocs a while ago, using titletoc.)

By the way, after the precious mishap, sure enough, I got nowhere
fast: Companion 2ed says on page 681, re the index package by David
Jones, "Note, however, that this makes the creation of a chapter
index more difficult." But that is the only mention in the whole
book. In return to "Latex chapter index", Google gave me only
somebody's same question on old.nabble, unanswered.

Still embarrassed regards
--schemmer