[OS X TeX] Re: Announce: TeXShop Tips & Tricks.

Rob Rye rowenrye at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:19:02 CEST 2010

Herb,

I was excited to read your TeXShop Tips and Tricks and have learned a fair bit. It had never occurred to me to use emacs-like key bindings in TeXShop. I have just started to do so because of your document and have also made use of your handy example DefaultKeyBinding.dict file.

Now, I am wondering what, if anything, you (or anyone else) use(s) for the META key, if you want to use some of the emacs commands that use META but that would overlap with existing bindings if bound to the option key. I use the option key for META in emacs on the Terminal and it looks like it is used for some things already in NSTextView, but other commands would conflict with some existing Mac keybindings (e.g. the transpose words command M-t). Then again, I don't use those existing Mac keybindings (option-t generates a dagger symbol), so I probably wouldn't really lose anything there. I know that some people use ESC for META, but I am too accustomed to using that for autocompletion in TeXShop to give it up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob