[OS X TeX] CMR fonts

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 23:40:30 CEST 2010

Hi Themis, and George,

On 13/10/2010, at 7:35 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> Hi George,
>>
>> <Screen shot 2010-10-12 at 5.10.00 AM.png>
>>
>> ... since some characters will not show correctly.
>> Notice how the '-' is missing in  y_{m-1}  at the right edge
>> of the example you sent.
>>
>> In my experience, missing '-' signs are the single most annoying
>> problem when importing images having CM-encoded fonts into a more
>> standardly-encoded font within a PDF.
>> If you do not fix this, you risk having your book published with
>> these characters missing.
>>
>> I've done books in which every image had to be touched-up
>> (in Illustrator) to find and replace all such instances
>> --- especially in the axes-tick labelling.
>
> Isn't it preferable then to work with outlined fonts?

Do you mean converting fonts to outlines, as graphic elements?
The CM Type-1 fonts are certainly outline fonts in the PostScript
sense.

Surely converting fonts to graphic elements is a retrograde
step these days, where you may need your work to show on
different-sized screens (e.g. mobile devices) and may want
to extract text from it --- even labels within images.

Besides, fonts generally display better (due to hinting, etc.)
than filled graphic outlines. So I've never liked that technique.

> Themis

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au