[OS X TeX] missing ligatures from included pdf

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Fri Oct 8 05:18:50 CEST 2010

On Oct 7, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  7 Oct, 2010, at 12:42, Alan Munn wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't have OG on my machine, so I can't test this directly.  But
>> LM Sans simply doesn't have ligatures (at least not ff, fi, fl etc.).
>
> Technically, it does ---just not the design we expect: it is U+FB01,
> recognized both by UnicodeChecker and Font Book. Try
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage[paperwidth=3in,paperheight=4in,text={12pc,11pc}]{geometry}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \begin{document}
> \thispagestyle{empty}
> \fontsize{72}{72}\selectfont
> \noindent{f{}i \quad fi}
> \noindent{\sffamily f{}i \quad fi}
> \end{document}
>
> and see the attached PDF

You've hit on it, Axel: I was just looking at a regular sized
comparison, and couldn't see the difference at all; the Roman version
is so obviously different that I assumed the sans version would be
similarly different but it's not.

But looking at my included snippet from TextEdit, the ligatures do
indeed show up, which is different from what Jan seems to have reported.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com