[OS X TeX] missing ligatures from included pdf

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu Oct 7 19:42:20 CEST 2010

On Oct 7, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Jan Hegewald wrote:

> On 07.10.2010, at 18:47, Alan Munn wrote:

>>> Do you these ligatures when you view this PDF in some PDF viewer?

>>> How could you achieve this? The Latin Modern fonts are not in the
>>> Mac OS X fonts service. Can you also prove that this font is
>>> actually registered in the PDF file? Some PDF viewers offer this,
>>> the command line utility pdffonts from xpdf allows this, too.
>>
>> Actually you can have LM fonts installed as regular Mac fonts.  I
>> do.  However, the LM Sans doesn't have ligatures at all, no matter
>> how the document is produced.
>>
>> Jan, if you change the font in Omnigraffle to LM Roman, you should
>> get the ligatures.  Conversely, if you create a small latex
>> document using LM Sans, you'll find that the same text will be
>> without ligatures.  So if you want a sans font with ligatures,
>> you'll need some other font.
>>

> Alan, the pdf from OG does show the ligatures just fine. Acrobat
> calls the embedded font "LMSans12-Regular". If I change the font in
> OG to LM Roman, the Latex pdf still does not show the ligatures.

I don't have OG on my machine, so I can't test this directly.  But LM
Sans simply doesn't have ligatures (at least not ff, fi, fl etc.).  On
the other hand, LM Roman definitely has the ligatures.  If I create a
document using TextEdit with LM Roman as the font, and then clip it
with Preview and insert as PDF with \includegraphics, the ligatures
show up correctly.  So I suspect that OG is faking the ligatures, and
therefore it never really uses the actual ligature glyphs.  This would
explain why it show ligatures with the sans version of the font, even
though there are no ligature glyphs in the font.

Can you try creating a snippet of text in the two fonts in TextEdit to
see if you get the same result?

Alan

--
Alan Munn