[OS X TeX] theorem names

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sat Nov 13 07:10:22 CET 2010

On Nov 13, 2010, at 12:23 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I use the book document style and load the AMS packages, in
> particular, amsthm. Therefore,
> theorems with names, e.g.
>
> Theorem 5 (Fundamental theorem of AbelianGroups).
>
> is typeset with
>
> Theorem 5
>
> and the period in bold,
>
> (Fundamental Theorem of AbelianGroups)
>
> not. Of course, it is easy to make
>
> Fundamental Theorem of AbelianGroups
>
> bold, but I would need the parenthesis bold also.
>
> The amslatex distribution has a file called testmath.pdf in
>
> amslatex/doc/latex/amsmath
>
> On p.6 of this file there are two theorems with everything in bold.
> Unfortunately, there
> is no source provided or explanation given.
>
> Does anybody know the trick?

You can define a new theoremstyle (check the amsthm documentation for
this) or you can just redefine the plain theorem style from amsthm to
have the note font bold as well.  This will change all theorem-like
environments that use the plain style. Make sure you do the changes
before using the \theoremstyle command for any newtheorems.

\makeatletter
\def\th at plain{%
%%  \let\thm at indent\noindent % no indent
%%  \thm at headfont{\bfseries}% heading font is bold
\thm at notefont{\bfseries}% same as heading font
%%  \thm at headpunct{.}% add period after heading
%%  \let\thm at swap\@gobble
%%  \thm at preskip\topsep
%%  \thm at postskip\theorempreskipamount
   \itshape % body font
}
\makeatother

If you want to change other parameters of the plain style, uncomment
the relevant parts and change them as needed.

I don't know if there's a more user-friendly way to do this.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com