[OS X TeX] dvips problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Nov 11 19:09:14 CET 2010

Am 11.11.2010 um 18:06 schrieb <lycee.condorcet at voila.fr> <lycee.condorcet at voila.fr
 >:

> I have simply changed the PATH variable.

This can only work in the shell where you've reset PATH (or path for
csh or tcsh, and then after a 'rehash' command) and not with AUCTeX in
XEmacs – maybe except you've launched it as 'env PATH=... xemacs ...
&'. When no init file resets the environment, then all process
launched from XEmacs will inherit an environment with the PATH set
before.

Using some DTRACE based utilities (try 'apropos dtrace') I could see
that dvips creates *six* times a Bourne sub-shell in which gzip runs.
When you write that one gs version fails, then it might be possible
that only one gs (or gsc) run succeeds and therefore only one EPS file
is correctly included while the others fail due to some problem.

There is one advantage when you convert an EPS file to PDF, which can
then be included by pdfTeX: it can internally be better compressed and
the handling of the PDF picture does not depend on any external
utility. Although the actual PDF file size can be bigger, you don't
need the BB file. This saves work time and disk space (and Time
Machine can finish today instead of tomorrow).

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
				- Groucho Marx