[OS X TeX] \wideparen doesn't show up

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Nov 7 14:30:26 CET 2010

Le 1 nov. 2010 à 20:04, Ross Moore a écrit :

> Hello André,
>
> On 02/11/2010, at 5:12 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> Compare both files (if you have the mtpro fonts):
>>
>> \documentclass[twoside]{book}
>> \usepackage{yhmath}
>> \begin{document}
>> $$
>> \wideparen{a \ast b}
>> $$
>> \end{document}
>>
>> There is a arc above  a * b
>>
>> \documentclass[twoside]{book}
>> \usepackage{yhmath}
>> \usepackage{mtpro2}
>> \begin{document}
>> $$
>> \wideparen{a \ast b}
>> $$
>> \end{document}
>>
>> With mtpro2 loaded, the arc doesn't show anymore.
>
> Presumably MathTimesPro has changed the font families.
> (I don't have it, so cannot check this fully.)
> Have you tried simply changing the order of loading the packages?
>
>> Could it be that there is some mechanism in mtrpro2 whoch disable \wideparen ?
>>
>> The definition ot  \wideparen in yhmath is shown here:
>>
>>> \wideparen=macro:
>> ->\protect \mathaccentV {wideparen}3F3.
>
> Actually it is declared via:
>
> \DeclareMathAccent{\wideparen}{\mathord}{largesymbols}{"F3}
>
> which results in the definition that you showed, drawing
> the {largesymbols} from font-family 3.
> After loading  mtpro2  this family number may well be different,
> which could explain why you don't get what you expect.
>
> One possible check is to look at the Console. Do you still
> get the message:
>
> </usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/yhmath/yhcmex.pfb>
>
> showing that the math-extension font is from YH-math ?
>
> I suspect not, but you'll have a MathTimes font instead.
> It may not be a good idea to try mixing YH with this,
> as there could be some undesirable side effects with other
> characters. Someone who has tried this already should comment.
>
>> l.5 \show\wideparen
>>
>> André Bellaïche

Dear Ross,

Thank you for your help. You were right:

With the order

\usepackage{yhmath}
\usepackage{mtpro2}

the last lines of the console file are:

</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local/fonts/type1/pctex/mtpro2/mt2exa.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local/fonts/type1/pctex/mtpro2/mt2mit.pfb>

With

\usepackage{mtpro2}
\usepackage{yhmath}

(now the wideparens work) they are

</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local/fonts/type1/pctex/mtpro2/mt2mit.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/yhmath/yhcmex.pfb>

One of the three mtpro fonts is suppressed in the first case, two are suppressed in the second case.

Since I need to keep the three mtpro math fonts, I turned to another solution: make a small pdf file of a horizontal parenthesis, and include it into the math equations by a macro \includegraphics, using the scale option of \includegraphics to stretch them automatically to the desired length.

Thanks,

André