[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Question

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Sat May 29 19:14:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

 I use BBEdit a lot and I find invaluable its tabbing and drawer system. It's not unusual that I often have multiple files open and having them "tabbed" in the same editor is helpful. Also, keyboard shortcuts to scroll forward or backward through tabbed windows are extremely helpful. Texhop has Cmd+` to scroll through open windows, but it also travels through the open console window and finder, etc, which interferes with what you really want to do, which is tab back and forth between two open tex source files. The drawer in BBEdit has a number of nice features including the ability to open a tabbed source file in another window, close all windows, close "others", etc.

In Texshop, I use header lines like: %!TEX TS-program = latex. I use \include and \includeonly very often when I work on a large project and forward and inverse search work extremely well in the current version, so I probably would not need a "project" window. However, in keeping with the spirit of Texshop to make things easier for newcomers to tex and latex, the ability to start a "book" project, with chapter and section files, exercise files, solutions files, and to organize them in an "XCode" groups and files type environment would be a very good thing, particularly for new comes who don't know much about "including" files.

On the other hand, the most attractive thing about Texshop is the simplicity of its interface. I worry about features "cluttering" the interface and appreciate the authors' wisdom in keeping its "clean" look and feel.

David Arnold
College of the Redwoods