[OS X TeX] Re: ChkTeX Engine for TeXShop

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Tue May 25 08:33:09 CEST 2010

Aloha Ralph,

1. I do not believe that there is a hidden preference to extend the number
of errors that TeXShop can parse. I wonder why there is a limit (perhaps for
performance reasons)?

2. I modified the engine and wrote an applescript to invoke it so that one
can run it without changing the engine (
http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/file/n5097098/ChkTeX2.engine
ChkTeX2.engine  and
http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/file/n5097098/ChkTeX_for_TeXShop.plist
ChkTeX_for_TeXShop.plist ). It works by inserting "% !TEX TS-program =
ChkTeX2" in the first line of the document, typesetting and then removing
that line. However, that makes the line numbers be one unit off. Thus the
engine compensates by using awk to subtract from each line number 1. There
is one bug I am aware of, namely when using external files via \input the
line numbers for these should not be changed, but the engine does change
them.

It really would be nice to integrate this functionality to TeXShop in the
future, without ugly hacks :)

Enjoy!

Ramón