[OS X TeX] tex4ht question

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1275144835.6eac3e at shiftingbalance.org
Mon May 24 16:53:31 CEST 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 9:51 AM, <cfrees at imapmail.org> <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:

> On Mon 24th May, 2010 at 08:29, Herbert Schulz seems to have written:

>>> Your version of this file is quite old. Looking at the large list of languages supported by Babel it's obvious for a second time that you never updated TeX Live 2009. An update might cure your problem.
>>>
>>> If not, then a problem exists in that you use zsh interactively and the TeX4ht scripts are Bourne shell based. This can indicate that you missed to prepare your system for the Bourne shell.
>>>
>> The version of tex4ht.env I have is
>>
>> % tex4ht.env / .tex4ht (unix)           2009-01-20-20:54 %
>>
>> so I'd guess that Pete is onto something here.
>>
> This seems right except that the version of TL in use seems to be 2009
> judging by the output from (pdf)TeX itself. That suggests to me that
> there may well be a mixture of different versions of the software
> around. That in itself need not be a problem as long as PATH etc. is
> configured right (e.g. via the TeX distribution preference pane) but
> maybe that isn't happening correctly in this case.
>
> MacTeX modifies the shell environment for sh/bash and tcsh/csh. Does it
> do this for zsh as well? If not, you might see strange mix-ups
> depending on the actual shell environment, mightn't you? Or does the
> fact that pdfTeX etc. are found correctly show that this cannot have
> anything to do with the problem?
>
> You might try:
> 	echo $PATH
> 	locate tex4ht.env

My path has the texbin directory in it, and I set it up using the TeX distribution preference pane. So far as I remember, I downloaded the whole 2009 MacTeX distribution; but maybe I didn't get the complete package but rather a late "beta".

In any case---again Pete has got the answer. Everything runs fine in bash. I will tinker with the zsh .profile or whatever it is. My bash and zsh environments are set up differently, apparently, because the $PATHS are different.

Thanks everyone for offering so much help! And, this time the problem is solved! Yay!

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org
http://www.shiftingbalance.org