[OS X TeX] texshop and preview

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun May 23 21:20:21 CEST 2010

On May 22, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> Something quite interesting is going on here. I'm using 10.6.3 and when processing the file with pdflatex, the top of the circle is cut off. However, if I process instead with
> latex xxx
> dvips -oxxx.ps xxx.dvi
> ps2eps -g -r=360 xxx.ps
> epstopdf xxx.eps
>
> then I get a file with no inappropriate cropping in Preview or in the TeXShop previewer. What I see now in Acrobat is identical to what I see in Preview. (This was not the case last year---PDFKit based viewers always clipped off part of the top back then. I sent in a bug report more than a year ago about this.) Could it be that pdfcrop had adjusted for Apple's former bad behavior in PDFKit, and Apple has now repaired one of their pdf rendering bugs?

I have some more details that are puzzling, to say the least.

1. If I run pstopdf on the ps file, I get a a cut-off circle, and the media box is set to [0 0 50.81 50.81], a bit smaller ( a little less than half a line width) than the BoundingBox in the ps file. (This is the same size media box produced by pdflatex.)

2. If I run eps2pdf on the eps file, I get no cut-off, and the media box is set to [0 0 51 51].

3. There appear to be few substantial differences between the .ps and .eps---the BoundingBoxes are the same, and I removed the HiResBoundingBox from the .eps just in case that was an issue. (It was not.)

4. When I ran eps2pdf on the ps file, cut-off occurred. So, the differences between the eps and ps must be significant, but I don't understand why.

Michael