[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop Engine to use Acrobat as previewer

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Sat May 22 23:01:38 CEST 2010

Aloha Again,

I added some functionality to the engine I posted yesterday: assuming that
you have, like me, chosen in the preferences to have "[a]ll windows start at
fixed position" then the modifications to the engine will place the preview
in Acrobat where the preview would be in TeXShop.

----------------------------------code begins below this
line--------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

PATH="$PATH:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin"

name=$(basename "$1" .tex)
basefname="`pwd`/${name}"

# Change this line to whatever typesetting command you like that produces
PDFs.
# pdflatex --file-line-error --shell-escape --synctex=1 "$1"
# comment the line above and uncomment the one below if you wish to use an
# installed TeXShop engine. Here we use pdflatexmk as an example.
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/pdflatexmk.engine "$1"

# Get TeXShop's PDF window position
window=`defaults read TeXShop "NSWindow Frame PdfKitWindow"`
# replace every space run by a single space
window=`echo $window | sed 's/ +/ /g'`

x=`echo "$window" | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
y=`echo "$window" | cut -d ' ' -f 2`
w=`echo "$window" | cut -d ' ' -f 3`
h=`echo "$window" | cut -d ' ' -f 4`

# Close any preview that already exists (if any) and open the new one.
/usr/bin/osascript  <<END
tell application "Adobe Acrobat Pro"
	activate
	set pg to 1
	try
		set pg to page number of the PDF Window of the document "$name.pdf"
		set b to bounds of the PDF Window of the document "$name.pdf"
		close document "$name.pdf"
	on error
		set b to {$x, 0, $x + $w, $y + $h}
	end try
	open POSIX file "$basefname.pdf"
	try
		set bounds of (the PDF Window of the document "$name.pdf") to b
		goto PDF Window of the document "$name.pdf" page pg
	end try
end tell
END

# We close the pdf window in TeXShop
close_window="tell application \"TeXShop\" to close (every window whose name
is \"$name.pdf\")"

/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/osascript  -e "$close_window" &