[OS X TeX] Drawing diagrams: what's better?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon May 17 19:14:35 CEST 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 10:02 AM, John B. Thoo wrote:

> Hi, everyone.  I hope this isn't a FAQ: Is it better to draw
> diagrams using something like PSTricks or Tikz, or something like
> xfig or Inkscape?  What are the pros and cons?  TIA.

As others have said, a lot depends on what kinds of data you are
drawing.  As a user of both PSTricks and TikZ, for most things they
are equivalent; if I were starting from scratch, I would recommend
going with TikZ, since it works seamlessly with pdflatex and xelatex,
whereas pstricks needs to be compiled with latex - dvips- ps2pdf (not
entirely accurate, but close enough).

TikZ is also somewhat better documented, (although the documentation
is not always the easiest to understand).  But the documentation for
pstricks has improved dramatically recently.  Both have substantial
user bases and are well supported, so getting questions answered is
usually not too difficult either, although my impression is that more
people are now using TikZ over PStricks.  PStricks has superior
mathematical capabilities since TikZ relies on TeX's math.  Both have
substantial libraries for commonly drawn elements, which often times
makes them superior to any GUI type program, again depending on the
sorts of things you are drawing.

For plotting real data, though, output from e.g. R would make more
sense.  (There's even a TikZ output device being developed for R,
which would be another reason to use TikZ if you are independently
using R.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn