[OS X TeX] pdflatex figure with the same name as the document?

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Fri May 14 17:40:18 CEST 2010

El dia 14/05/2010, a les 03:46, Alan Munn va escriure:

> For the Mac, this is done at the file system level: you can format a
> disk to allow case sensitive file names, but there is no setting per
> se that you can switch on and off once your disk is formatted in the
> standard Apple way.

Right, when you format a disk or volume you can choose whether
journaled or not, and whether case-sensitive or not. You can check
your situation by going to the Apple Menu > About this Mac > More info
 > looking at your disk(s).

> Unlike Windows, though, the Mac OS preserves the distinction between
> upper and lower case in file names, so if you transfer files to a
> system that does care about case, the names will appear as you
> actually wrote them.
>
> Apple's version is sort of weird: it preserves the file names, but
> ignores the difference. Within the terminal, for example, file name
> completion appears to be case-sensitive: 'app' will not expand to
> Applications.  But at the same time you can't create two files in
> the same directory with the same names but different cases.

I would need some clarification here. I have my disk formatted as
"case-sensitive", and I *can* create two files in the same directory
with the same names but different cases. I can do this either in the
Finder or in the Terminal. They (seem to) appear as different files to
the system. This seems to contradict your last assertion. Or is it
that they only *look* as different but *are* actually the same file ?

However, when I backup to a USB pendrive which is formatted as "case-
insensitive", the two files are contemplated as the same file, e.g.,
if only one is present in the pendrive then the most recent of the two
is backed up against the other, irrespectively of the case in the
names. Not being aware of this has caused some headaches in the past.

I have asked in the past about the (dis)advantages of case-sensitive
versus case-insensitive, but never received a satisfactory answer. Is
there anybody here with a clear one ? Thanks in advance !

JMaF