[OS X TeX] Re: Some ideas LaTeX on iPad, iPhone, etc.

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 23 14:09:42 CET 2010

On Mar 23, 2010, at 12:58 AM, David Watson wrote:

> The e-book format will not work in its current implementation for documents with mathematical markup.
> This is a niche that could easily be filled by a cloud service, if there were enough interested parties using mobile devices.

An interesting examination / exemplar of what one can do in specific formats is this work on Russell's _Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy_:

http://people.umass.edu/klement/russell-imp.html

To my mind, the iPad only becomes interesting for mathematics when it has full editing and stylus support (incl. handwriting recognition).

Excellent programs to examine in this space:

http://www.inftyproject.org/en/software.html

http://research.cs.queensu.ca/drl//ffes/

The ideal would be a port of LyX (and I'd love to see a Cocoa front-end for it):

http://www.lyx.org/

William
(who wrote out his TUG 2003 paper on a Fujitsu Point 510 in Dirk Struve's TeXShell for Windows using CIC PenX)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer