[OS X TeX] Some ideas LaTeX on iPad, iPhone, etc.

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 23 00:39:40 CET 2010

Aloha,

I use DropBox <http://www.dropbox.com> to back up my files, synchronize
projects between my computers and collaborate. One can even access one's
files on the iPhone (and logic dictates that the iPad should also have that
capability). Now, it occurs to me that if one could write a Folder Action or
a shell script controlled by launchd that calls LaTeX every time tex file
changes in a folder watched by DropBox then if one makes a change in said
tex file somewhere else, then shortly one should be able to see the
resulting pdf. And the platform one is using to view and edit would not need
a LaTeX installation.

Moreover, one could use the "% !TEX TS-program =" tag just as in TeXShop to
control which engine is used to compile one's document.

Has anyone toyed with something like this? I think it is within what I can
do, but why reinvent the wheel :)

Ramón