[OS X TeX] Why this .ps file can not be viewed?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Mar 15 22:49:00 CET 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 5:25 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Themis, and Leo,
>
> On 16/03/2010, at 7:32 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> On Mar 15, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> A .ps file exported from Emacs somehow can not be viewed in
>>> Preview.app.
>>> If I run pstopdf in Terminal.app to convert it into .pdf file, it
>>> can
>>> not be viewed either.
>>>
>>> Any .ps expert can shed some light on this? I have attached a
>>> sample .ps
>>> file.
>>
>> I am not a .ps expert but when I tried to open your file in
>> Illustrator CS3 I got the message "The operation cannot be
>> completed because of an unknown error," which seems to imply there
>> is a problem with the ps file itself.

> Themis,
> at least you were able to save and attempt to open it.
>
> For me Apple's  Mail.app  tried to convert it for display within
> the Mail window.  Of course it fell into a loop, thus freezing the
> application and forcing me to (eventually) Force Quit.
> On reopening Mail all I could do was reduce the viewing window
> to nothing and delete the email -- no opportunity to save the
> attachment.
>
> Doubtless something similar has happened to others on this list.

Odd. It opened fine for me, with both Preview and Adobe Acrobat 8,
although it doesn't look like anything.  I get the same error as
Themis when opening it with Illustrator CS3. I've attached a snapshot
of how Preview displays the file.

Leo, is this what the file is supposed to look like?

I get the same result with  10.5.8 on an Intel MacBook and 10.6 on a
MacBook Pro.

Alan

--
Alan Munn