[OS X TeX] latex and xelatex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Mar 15 17:00:24 CET 2010

Am 15.03.2010 um 13:57 schrieb Kirk Lowery:

> I've run across this limitation with xe(la)tex before. Is there a
> technical reason xelatex cannot be adapted to use it?

XeTeX follows consequently the settings inside a font to position
glyphs, pdfTeX can use PostScript operators to manipulate the shape of
a font's glyphs.

> Or is it a question of the developer(s)' priorities?

Do they want to violate a font's design or respect it? That's the
question. (I would like them to want, no question.) The easier part
might be to perform protrusion, i.e., letting parts of the glyphs
protrude into the left and right margins. This is likely to come since
a year ago the OpenType format has received updates. One of them is
the "opbd" table or feature (a companion of "rand?") which tells the
text processor how far the glyph can hang outside of the text area to
create an improved optical look of the margin.

Look up some eMails by Adam Twardoch from February last year!

--
Greetings

   Pete

When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.