[OS X TeX] zapf dingbats

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 14 23:50:23 CET 2010

On Mar 14, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.03.2010 um 19:51 schrieb David Arnold:
>
>> pdfmark[{ZaDb}<</Type/Font/Subtype/Type1/Name/ZaDb/BaseFont/ZapfDingbats>>/PUT
>
> This comes from /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pdfmark.def – why is it used in a file without stuff needing or using it? The loading of hyperref is in this small document without any effect... or does the Form environment perform something with hyperref?
>
> This looks like a bug in hyperref.
>

>> That seems to be the problem for those of us on Macs who don't have that font set.
>

> No! The MAP file will map the TeX font name to either uzdr or pzdr. And Zapf Dingbats is among the "standard 14" fonts, so the computer does not need to provide it. Distiller should not stumble upon it – provided *some* Zapf Dingbats font is included in the PS file.

I think this is a relic from earlier (\approx 10) years, when Adobe Reader always installed a copy of Zapf Dingbats in LWFN PostScript format, so that font could be counted upon to be present on any machine that read a pdf file. Since this is an addition to the .ps file, it comes after any TeX processing, and the distilling process, whatever the type, will not consult psfonts.map. (That is used only by dvips in the latex+dvips processing path.) It appears that Adobe Distiller can make use of only PostScript fonts, so it seems important to get hold of a copy of the correct Zapf Dingbats if you MUST use Adobe Distiller.

Many older Macs (and newer ones where you copied your data from a prior machine) will have this font, but possibly not installed. One command line that should find any copies on a disk indexed by Spotlight is

/usr/bin/mdfind 'kMDItemDisplayName == ""cd' | /usr/bin/grep -i 'zapf'

In my case, the copies were in

/Library/Application Support/AdobeFonts/Reqrd/Base

under the names ZapfDin (the LWFN) and Zapf Dingbats (the bitmap/metrics).
You need to move these to a folder searched by Adobe Distiller and where OS X expects to find fonts, like /Library/Fonts, then install by double clicking on ZapfDin and pressing the Install button in Font Book.

Michael