[OS X TeX] General Font Question -- Solved!

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 14 04:02:37 CET 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 1:19 PM, David Derbes wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 13.03.2010 um 18:55 schrieb David Derbes:
>>
>>> Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
>>
>> Did you try to use xdv2pdf as output driver as Jonathan suggested? With xdv2pdf it should even work to use PostScript fonts because they're converted on-the-fly to OTF format...
>>

> It did. I opened up a Terminal window, made sure the example was in the directory, and typed, as Jonathan instructed,
>
> derbes$ xelatex -output-driver=xdv2pdf provence_example.tex
>
> (followed by "enter")
>
> and it worked.
>
> So, if Manuel is still following this thread, he can do what he wants. I could not see how to invoke xdv2pdf in TeXShop, though.
>
> Thanks to you, Peter, and to Jonathan.
>
> David Derbes
> U of Chicago Lab Schools

Howdy,

Sorry, I was e-mailing from my iPhone before.

Assuming you're using a fairly recent version of TeXShop: go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/ (~ is your HOME directory) and move the XeLaTeX-xdv2pdf.engine file there two directories up to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/; restart TeXShop and replace the line

% !TEX TS-program = xelatex

near the top of your file with the line

% !TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdv2pdf

and TeXshop will use that engine and tell xetex to use the dvi2pdf driver to produce the pdf file. The xdv2pdf driver seems to be broken in OS X 10.6.2 so I haven't been able to use it there. If you really have the ttf files the regular xelatex engine should work just fine.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)