[OS X TeX] General Font Question

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Mar 13 14:07:46 CET 2010

Am 13.03.2010 um 13:34 schrieb Richard J Benish:

> With my background in graphics I had some encounter with such things
> (e.g., Adobe Font Metrics). So I guessed it might be due to some
> such complication.

The way from AFM to TFM is easy. The complication is that TeX supports
a few font encodings. So you have to create from one AFM file a few
TFM files with different encodings. And you can add to the TFM file
values for kerning or ligatures which an AFM file not always has.

> This would seem to mean that LaTex could still be modified to make
> font handling much easier than it presently is.

Then it wouldn't be LaTeX anymore. So the new names are LuaTeX or
XeTeX. They have new cores and use, in their LaTeX variants, the same
shell of packages as standard LaTeX does.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated than
by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere, bread becomes
hard while crackers become soft