[OS X TeX] LaTeX on iPad?

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Sat Mar 6 16:05:54 CET 2010

El 06/03/2010, a les 14:53, David Derbes va escriure:

> I'm thinking about an iPad. It's disappointing that this thing won't
> run native OS X apps (and who knows, maybe down the road a new
> version will), but is there any thought to porting LaTeX (and
> TeXShop?) to the iPhone OS (or whatever the iPad runs)?
>
> I think the iPad is mostly going to be a passive device (a terrific
> browser and reader, not necessarily terrific for creating content
> except email or other nearly pure text), so perhaps this is a
> foolish question.

I don't think it is; at least not for me :-)

If the iPad had TeX, in some form, then (for me) it would replace the
need to carry the laptop for the occasional traveller. While clearly
not ideal for hard work, it would be close to ideal for final
retouches of presentations, navigating the internet, checking
webmails, reading (and annotating) papers in PDF, etc. The things you
usually need to do when traveling, attending a conference, visiting a
foreign university, etc. MacBooks are too heavy and too large for such
tasks (and they do not really fit in the plane's seat table).

Just my 2 cents...

JMaF