[OS X TeX] TexShop features request

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jun 23 13:57:49 CEST 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 5:21 AM, Thierry wrote:

> Hello,
> I really like the way TeXShop can use "meta information" at the beginning of tex files via the tag
> %!TEX ...
>
> Would it be possible to extend this feature to other useful customization?
>
> Here are some ideas:
> 1- a tag to tell Texshop to open the associated pdf file in a certain "page" mode.
> I prefer "multiple pages" for ordinary documents (default for me), but I would like "simple page" for documents prepared with the beamer class.
> So a tag like
> %!TEX page = simple
> would be very convenient: no change to perform in the menu "Page" each time the document is open.
>
> 2- to tell Texshop to chose specific commands to create the Tag pulldown menu.
> Default is \chapter -> \subsection, but it would be convenient to have for instance
> \begin{frame} and \frame for documents prepared with the beamer class.
> So, a line like
> %!TEX tag =  \begin{frame}[]{#}, \frame[]{#}
> would be convenient (just an idea for the syntax).
> I have seen in the documentation that %: could help, but I would like to get the logical structure of the document directly without to have to write it down explicitly.
>
> I am sure there would be a lot more ideas in that direction.
>
> Thierry

Howdy,

For item 1. Assuming you are running a more recent version of the OS you can go into System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts on OS X 10.6 or ...->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts on 10.5 and create keyboard shortcuts for switching. You may be able to create Macros that do it also if TeXShop's Applescript Dictionary has commands for that but I'm terrible at that so avoid it as much as possible.

For item 2. Although not exactly what you want you could create a Command Completion abbreviation that created the complete %: ... \end{frame} structure with placeholders for optional arguments, etc. If you are not familiar with Command Completion look in ~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion/ for documentation. If there is no documentation there and you're using TeXShop 2.30 or later simply move that folder to the desktop and start up TeXShop which should create the updated folder. If you've already created your own completions and/or abbreviations the documentation also tells you how to move any customization from your original CommandCompletion.txt file into the newly created file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)