[OS X TeX] Movie: TeXShop Webpage Helper in action

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 15 07:20:54 CEST 2010

Aloha,

Apparently, I have confused a lot of people with my application (which let
me reiterate will do nothing if you double click it; it is the invisible
glue between hyperlinks and TeXShop).

It has two layers, the user layer of things, where you just need to download
the software and open a PDF (the included example, which is a hyperlinked
version of George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table) and use that as an equation
editor.

Now, a (moving) picture is worth a (million) thousand words as the saying
goes, so here is a little movie (with some frames deleted in the middle that
consisted of just me scrolling down the page):

<http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/Math%20Symbols%20Table.mov>

The second layer is the one of the person programming a document and adding
hyperlinks to it. For that you need to learn all the technical details in
the manual
(it is a little computer language with its own idiosyncrasies). You write
the document in LaTeX using the hyperref package or HTML and encode the
links using the instructions in the manual and some utility macros I wrote.

The programmer has some fine control over the insertion of text. She can
insert text (encoded in the link or from a text file), encapsulate text in
an environment, and when the insertion is done move the cursor to an offset
from the insertion, etc. The insertions can be unicode. You can refer to
parts of the document by their line number, offset within that line and
length, or in relation to the current selection. You can refer to documents
by their path or by referring to the current front document.

I hope that that explains the potential of this software more eloquently and
coherently than I am capable, to create not just such symbol tables but, for
example LaTeX tutorials, where the user inserts pieces of code by just
clicking.

I hope the movie clears the confusion.

Ramón