[OS X TeX] Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 15 01:57:40 CEST 2010

Aloha Hugh,

> I downloaded your app. It doesn't work on 10.6.3. Double click the Icon
> and it
> looks as if it is starting to open and then never does. It just goes awol.

Please read the Read Me. That is what it  is supposed to do. Open the
Grätzer Math Symbols Table in TeXShop (included with the download) open a
document in TeXShop and place the cursor in the text where the symbol you
want inserted should go. Click on the symbol in the table, and it should get
inserted. Select a character in your text, click on an accent in the table
and it should be applied. The TeXShop Webpage Helper (TSWH) application
translates the click on the link into a command for TeXShop (to the user it
happens "automagically", TSWH works invisibly).

If you care, and the user should not, only people making character and
command tables, what happens is this.

If you click on a link in a document that has the protocol http:// then the
system will try to look for who is the default application to handle the
protocol, i.e., your default browser and open the link in there. Links are
not only addresses to pages but can encode information. For example,
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=university+of+hawaii+hilo&sll=19.704254,-155.080175&sspn=0.033372,0.07699&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=University+of+Hawaii&hnear=University+of+Hawaii,+Hilo,+Hawaii,+96720&ll=19.701425,-155.080175&spn=0.033373,0.07699&z=14>
is the Google Maps link to my university. It consists of much more than just
<http://maps.google.com>, as the commands are encoded in the link.

So what TSWH does is register itself in your computer (by virtue of being
the only handler of the protocol available) to handle the texshop://
protocol. Every link in the Grätzer table has instructions encoded for TSWH
to translate into TeXShop "apple events" (applescript commands that TeXShop
understands) that instruct TeXShop to insert symbols and apply accents.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Ramón