[OS X TeX] asy (darwin)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jun 13 05:39:56 CEST 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> And another thing :-}
>
> On Jun 12, 2010, at 20:15 , Justin C. Walker wrote:
>> On Jun 12, 2010, at 17:20 , Victor Ivrii wrote:
> [snip]
>>> BTW, how to compile for both intel _32 and _64?
>>
>> There are a couple of ways to get a "universal" app.
> [snip]
> What Dick alluded to in his response ("no cross compiling") is important.  The tips I gave will only build you a command that runs on a given version of Mac OS X.  If you want to run on multiple versions (10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6), it gets skankier, and you really need the help of a trained professional :-}

It's also worth nothing that autoconf-based (./configure) projects are not always compatible with setting CFLAGS to '-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc', and this can cause some really subtle bugs.  Cross-compiling for multiple architectures and OS releases is really not fun; even using Xcode, you can still have problems with some of the system libraries.

--
Adam