[OS X TeX] epstopdf glitch

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 13 01:51:19 CEST 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, Herb,
>
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 16:18 , Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Is there still an issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help (and clarifying some things along the way).
>>>
>>> Justin
>>>

>> Could you provide a minimal but compilable sample file (and eps to include) that shows this behavior. Depending upon what you are doing there might be a problem with restricted shell escape which is one of the things I've been testing.
>
> I'm attaching one.  You need to supply your own 'eps' file.  Also you need to ignore the blather that's used in the text, and don't attribute it to a psychotic break... :-}
>
> I set TeXShop to 'Pdftex', fire away, and get the "restricted mode" error right away.

Howdy,

Sigh... no attachments here. Could you email me direct? You can figure out my email address from my signature.

I'll just use the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex

and TeXshop will take care of the rest. One thing that is very strange here is that the pdflatex engine (see TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->pdfTeX->Latex item) uses shell escape by default so it shouldn't be in restricted mode at all. I could use a copy of your log file and maybe you can copy the full Console output to a file (click in the main Console window and do a Select All) so I can get a better idea of why you're failing to compile. Maybe when I see the file I'll understand right away.

>> Let me know what you get when you run
>>
>> kpsewhich epstopdf-sys.cfg
>
> I get what you get (if the path below is what you get).

That's good and normal.

>> kpsewhich epstopdf.cfg
>
> Zilch.  I have no such file.

That's good and normal too.

>> as well as let me know what you get when you run
>>
>> cat /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/epstopdf-sys.cfg
>
> % Public domain.
> \ProvidesFile{epstopdf-sys.cfg}%
>  [2010/06/06 v1.2 Configuration of (r)epstopdf for TeX Live]%
> \epstopdfsetup{%
>  program at epstopdf=repstopdf% only the restricted epstopdf is allowed
> }
> \endinput
>
> HTH.
>
> Justin