[OS X TeX] TLU hang on startup

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Jul 10 02:04:08 CEST 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, Adam,
>
> On Jul 9, 2010, at 16:03 , Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> On Jul 9, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I'm attaching a 10-sec/20-msec sample of the app while the hang was underway, and the crash log at the time of a "Force Quit" of the app.
>>
>> Thanks; the sample makes this a very useful bug report.  It tells me that it's hanging while waiting for CFNetworkExecuteProxyAutoConfigurationURL to complete.  So you apparently have a proxy configuration with a .pac URL, and it's unable to download the .pac javascript (or possibly execute it).  Is that possible?
>
> Depends on what 'that' is :-}

"That" was a failure to download.  If this happens again, try using curl to get the .pac file.

> I do have a .pac file for http usage.  Don't know about the javascript part.

The .pac file contains a javascript function; wackypedia has more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

>  TLU normally works w/o complaint, though.  After the hang (and a lapse of about 30 minutes) I tried again, and TLU started up w/o problems.
>
> No errors were reported, AFAIK (it hung early on, before a window was up with which to view a log).

Yes, setting the proxy environment variables has to happen early in startup, before a tlmgr process is spawned.

I think what I'll do is add a timeout on this, and just set the proxy environment variables if and when the download completes and I get a callback.  That might lead to a different sort of brokenness, but at least it won't hang indefinitely.

--
Adam