[OS X TeX] Latexian: A LaTeX Editor for Mac OS X

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 8 16:24:04 CEST 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:44 AM, David Derbes wrote:
>
>> First, there's Allan Odgaard's TextMate. It's a terrific editor, but version 2 may simply never appear. The auxiliary bundles written by Allan and the TextMate community greatly facilitate its use with LaTeX and just about every programming language under the sun. I use it infrequently with Python, and really never with LaTeX.
>
> I saw a posting on Twitter just a couple of days ago assuring the world that TextMate 2 is coming, though it was from a person who I did not know was associated with TextMate. I will believe it when I see it.

Howdy,

Glad to see that editor (it is very powerful) is still being developed. I know there of folks on this list that do use it (along with Skim) for LaTeX tasks. Unfortunately it always seemed sluggish to me when compared to BBEdit so I've stuck with the latter for most of my text, as opposed to LaTeX, work.

>> Then there's Textures. I am reluctant to plop down the asking price (or even half of it) when its development seems, well, glacial.
>
> The development of Textures defines a new category of slow. I have given up on Textures and I wish Blue Sky would just give up too. The 10th anniversary of Mac OS X is quickly approaching and the people at Blue Sky are *still* working on a release for Mac OS X. What have they been doing the past 10 years to pay the bills? :-)
>
> -- Gary

Memories... I started using TeX (with Plain and a set of macros I put together that emulated troff a bit --- those old documents from the 80's still compile!) with Lance Carne's PC TeX under DOS 6. I moved to TeXtures when I moved to a Mac in the early 90's (my Quadra 650 was still doing duty using OS 9 as a neighbor's child's system until a few years ago) but rarely used the instant re-compile feature because my machine was slow enough that it was just annoying except for very short memos. It was always a multi-step process to pull apart the stuff in the Resources to be able to send source to someone else to edit, etc., and I had to be careful about graphics inclusion too. Use Alpha as an external editor. Eventually I stopped using TeX and took up FrameMaker until Adobe bought it and stopped supporting Mac. Then coming back to Gerben's teTeX+ redistribution and TeXShop after I got my first OS X 10.1 system in 2001 or so. I've never looked back and an updated TeXtures will not be in my future. I too wonder where Blue Sky is getting its funding unless it's simply a hobby for the new owners.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)