[OS X TeX] Latexian: A LaTeX Editor for Mac OS X

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:44:07 CEST 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 7, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else tried this new TeX editor and previewer?
>>>
>>> http://tacosw.com/latexian/
>>>
>>> It's not bad and works right out of the box for me. It doesn't yet support the TeXShop syntax:
>>>
>>> %!TEX root =
>>>
>>> but I have emailed the author asking for it. The dev(s) appear to be open to input, so you might want to have a look.
>>>
>>> -- Gary
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Looks pretty nice. Does it support building new ``engines?'' The one thing that will definitely keep me from trying and using it is that it will be a commercial product; I can get wonderful editors that do (almost?) everything I need (I know there are features that others want/need) that are Open Software.
>
> I agree, but it is nice to see some development of new TeX tools on the Mac front.

It's always a sign of health that new applications appear for a platform, and I wish the developer every success with his editor. That said, there are at least a couple of other editors or LaTeX development environments that seem somewhat frozen, and I'm curious if anyone has any information.

First, there's Allan Odgaard's TextMate. It's a terrific editor, but version 2 may simply never appear. The auxiliary bundles written by Allan and the TextMate community greatly facilitate its use with LaTeX and just about every programming language under the sun. I use it infrequently with Python, and really never with LaTeX.

Then there's Textures. I am reluctant to plop down the asking price (or even half of it) when its development seems, well, glacial.

I have written literally hundreds of thousands of words with Dick Koch's TeXShop, which he and the TeXShop team make available for free. The "on the fly" preview feature offered by Textures and apparently by Latexian is not a bad thing, but nothing prevents me from typesetting any time I want.

LaTeX would have been far more difficult for me to use without TeXShop, and I am very grateful to him and his colleagues.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools