[OS X TeX] Adding a macro to TeXShop via an installer script

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 21:51:09 CET 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> Hi, the discussion that has been going on about installing
> csv2latex has got me thinking about creating an installer package
> for it.  For the ruby script itself, this is trivial, and will make
> the part of the installation that is hardest for non-Terminal users
> easy.
>
> I'm wondering, however, if there would be a way to have the
> installer actually add the TeXShop macro code itself into the
> relevant user .plist file.
>
> So a couple of questions: first, is this a good or bad idea? (The
> current installation instructions tell people to cut and paste the
> Applescript into the TeXShop macro editor, which certainly works.)

If I could do it, anyone can do it.

Still, I remember that when I first started in LaTeX and Co, I was so
intimidated that I was afraid even to write a two line macro.

Then, speaking from the point of view of the magnum opus, a number of
people(*) have told me that, yes the text is interesting, yes, it is
nice that it has ancillaries but, unfortunately, they would rather
not get involved with LaTeX so ...  .

So, yes, a one click installation would probably be necessary for
this kind of people even to consider using csv2latex.

Regards
--schremmer

(*)These are people who would not have to write in LaTeX but just
have an installation to produce homeworks, exams, etc by simply (un)
commenting a few lines here and there.