[OS X TeX] need Mac cmd and apple symbols

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Wed Jan 13 23:43:41 CET 2010

On Wed 13th Jan, 2010 at 15:04, Herbert Schulz seems to have written:

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> Hi Herb and Joe,

>> Many fonts have these.
>>
>> The cloverleaf is at Unicode point Ux02318 "Place of interest sign".
>> Many other familiar symbols are in the "Miscellaneous Technical" block:
>>  Ux02300 --> Ux023FF   (not all slots are used)
>>
>> A lot of fonts have an apple symbol at the end of the PUA (private use area)
>> at position  Ux0F8FF .
>> Mostly it is a filled apple, but some fonts have it in an outlined
>> form. Use the "Characters" palette to see what you have here.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Thanks for this information. I'll have to take a look at the fonts I've been using to see if they are there.
>
> Still need to do the image thing (which gets scaled by the x-height of the font in use so it isn't perfect but certainly acceptable) with pdflatex or latex->dvips->ps2pdf unless someone has a ``real'' TeX font that has those.

If there are any suitable fonts which have the character, it wouldn't
be that hard to create a LaTeX package to access it. So if there's a
suitable symbol font which would be a suitable match to the text font
used - or if there's a suitable font for both text and symbols - it
should be possible to make it available via a package. If there's a
need for this? Maybe the image thing works better?

I can definitely get it with my setup because I fiddled some with
Apple's fonts when I was figuring out fontinst and Apple Symbols has the
apple, for example, and is setup so I can access it from pdfLaTeX. But I
can't distribute the files because the font isn't free. It won't work
with latex->dvips->ps2pdf in any case because the font is truetype.

If there isn't a suitable free font, I might also be able to send you
scripts and instructions for generating the necessary files for use
with one of the fonts you have from Apple, but that would possibly be
more hassle than it would be worth...

- cfr