[OS X TeX] Keeping TeX installations synchronized between machines

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 12 02:38:13 CET 2010

> There is a GUI for rsync with some predefined scripts. A detailed
> description of the possible options is contained in the man pages.
> The predefined scripts can be easily customized or copied and
> modified.
> I am using rsync for keeping my MacBook Pro in sync with my Mac Pro.

Keep in mind also that not all backup tools are equal when it comes to
fully preserving your data, particularly with things like HFS extended
attributes and file creation dates.

As of version 3.0, rsync is probably one of the best out there (aside
from Time Machine), but depending on your OS version you may still be
running an older rsync.

But for just TeX files this is not normally an issue, as long as you
don't mind losing your creation dates.

Tony M.