[OS X TeX] Compiling MikTex tools for Unix

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 9 16:13:50 CET 2010

On Jan 9, 2010, at 8:45 AM, David Watson wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Benoit RIVET wrote:
>>
>> /Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Headers/qglobal.h:288:2: error: #error "You are building a 64-bit application, but using a 32-bit version of Qt. Check your build configuration."
>
> You may need to let gcc know that you want 64-bit binaries by using a flag such as -m64, but I couldn't know without compiling this myself how the miktex build process works.
>
> Sometimes, you can do this by setting environment flags for CC and such:
>    CC='gcc -m64' ./configure

Howdy,

Actually it looks like the reverse is true; he's trying to build a 64 bit app but the QT framework is 32 bit. Why not just build a 32 bit app?

One other thing... If you have the full TeX Live installed (e.g., via MacTeX) there aren't many packages that are left out (well... deprecated packages [e.g., glossary] and ``non-free'' packages do exist on CTAN that don't in TeX Live) so automatic downloading of missing packages is rarely a problem. Also, I believe MikTeX versions of packages may lag behind those on CTAN and TeX Live which may give rise to interaction problems. I use the TeX Live Utility (it's a GUI front end for a bunch of tlmgr functionality and comes with MacTeX) to keep my distribution up to date and very rarely (and usually for legacy documents) have needed to have packages outside of the system. I do have fonts that aren't supplied by TeX Live but I need install them only once in my temf-local tree (and put the relevant commands in a script because I'm getting old and my memory is beginning to get worse :-)) and don't have to worry about them until the next TeX Live installation.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)