[OS X TeX] Page number appears with \pagestyle{empty}

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 28 15:12:43 CET 2010

On Feb 28, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Manuel wrote:

> Am 28/02/2010 um 13:53 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:
>
>> On Feb 28, 2010, at 5:10 AM, Manuel wrote:
>>
>>> the first page of the table of contents appears with the folio at the
>>> bottom of the page, even with
>>>
>>> \thispagestye{empty}
>>>
>>> before or after \tableofcontents*. I didn't find any reference to
>>> this in the mail archives or in other sources. Could somebody point
>>> me in the right direction to solve this little problem?
>>>

>> The following works here;
>>
>> \documentclass[article,twoside,a4paper,12pt]{memoir}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> \tableofcontents*
>> \thispagestyle{empty}
>>
>> \clearpage
>>
>> \chapter{Page numbers}
>> text text text
>>
>> \end{document}
>>
>> Themis Matsoukas
>>

> Themis, what I'm trying to get is a document (a collection of ca. 5000 pdf-pages) completely without page numbers, with the toc at the end (I'll use "pagecommand" later to numerate the pages).
>
> Manuel

Howdy,

The \pagestyle{empty} in the preamble sets the general style to `empty', i.e., no page numbering, heads or foots. The \thispagestyle{empty} overrides the page style for the given page. The \tableofcontents* command overrides the general the original pagestyle and sets the folio. By placing the \thispagestyle{empty} command right after the \tableofcontents* you reset the `empty' style before the page is set. I get no page numbers on either page with

\documentclass[article,twoside,a4paper,12pt]{memoir}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents*
\thispagestyle{empty}
\chapter{First Chapter}
text text text
\clearpage
\chapter{Second Chapter}
text text text
\end{document}

and you must compile twice for the TOC to actually be there.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)