[OS X TeX] New Macros, new Engines, new TeXShop versions, and all that

Gerrit Glabbart g.glabbart at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 21 20:53:03 CET 2010

2010/2/21 David Messerschmitt <messer at eecs.berkeley.edu>

Good point, but there is absolutely nothing inconsistent between (a)
> accommodating naive and power users differently and (b) allowing users to
> move from the naive to the power category. All you are saying is that naive
> users should not matter, because they dont stay that way. Such a perspective
> is commonplace in open source software, but I am arguing that naive users
> are important. For one thing, accommodating them will attract more new users
> to TexShop, whether or not they later turn into power users. I would argue
> that this is good, if we wish to maximize the impact of TexShop.
>
> -dave

And doesn't OS X provide a mechanism for this? Default macros, engines, etc.
could go into /Library/Application Support/TeXShop/ and could easily be
upgraded automatically; the current directory in ~/Library/TeXShop would be
the user's responsibility, should they see the need. This is the way it is
handled for AppleScripts, PreferencePanes, Screen Savers -- all sorts of
things really.

Or am I missing the point?

-- Gerrit.