[OS X TeX] Muddled paths

Theo Moore tsg.moore at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:35:00 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a unix-system-type question and I'm a bit of a dunce so please
hand-hold me through the answer.

I recently updated from MacTeX 2008 to MacTeX 2009 (including deleting
the old 2008 distribution). I ran into this problem, which may be
unrelated to the upgrade, but may instead be due to my having messed
with Fink and Macports a while ago.

Essentially, when I type "which pdflatex", it gives me the path
"/sw/bin/" (indeed I have a pdflatex file in there). I believe this is
the remnants of my playing around with Fink and Macports. Compiling
documents using this pdflatex does not work (many packages are not
found). However, compiling with "/usr/texbin/pdflatex filename.tex"
works perfectly.

So my guess is that the stuff in /sw/bin/ is an old TexLive
distribution installed from Macports and Fink. My question how do I
safely remove this stuff and associate the right paths to the relevant
tex commands?

Thanks!