[OS X TeX] Biblatex now part of TeX Live 2009

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 16 01:24:41 CET 2010

Howdy,

If you've been using the experimental biblatex package for creating and formatting bibliographies the news is that version 0.9 has come out and it is now part of TeX Live 2009 with the latest update via tlmgr or TeX Live Utility. Remember to remove any older copies you may have around in texmf-local or your personal tree.

The new bibtex replacement, biber, that is UTF-8 compliant, is also out as verion 0.5 but is NOT part of the system since it needs a bunch of perl libraries that are NOT standard in Mac OS, even OS X 10.6. But it can be processed just fine with bibtex uless you really need the UTF-8 abilities. TeX Live has bibtex8 but I know asmuch about that as I do about biber! :-(

If you are using the latexmk engines with TeXShop it seems to auto-process the bibligraphy produced by biblatex using bibtex.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)