[OS X TeX] extrange error

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 7 02:38:41 CET 2010

On Feb 6, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Sr Sur wrote:

> ...Thanks for your attention. And excuse me for the confusion
>

> PD: wich is the best way to compile a file with a eps images. Using TEX+DVI
> script and
>

> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
>

> at the preamble or using PDFTeX script and
>

> \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
>
> \usepackage{epstopdf}

Howdy,

Glad you found the problem.

I would say that it depends upon how many eps figures you have, if they change rapidly and if there are other kinds of figures (e.g., pdf or jpg) you need to include. I see no problem with the way you are doing things. I would leave off the options argument to the graphicx package since it does a good job of auto-detecting what the driver is (well---if it's dvi output it assumes, by default, dvips->distiller rather than something like dvipdfm(x) since there is no way for it to tell what backend precessing of the dvi file will take place).

I tend to have mostly pdf figures with a few jpg too so I use pdflatex along with using the epstopdf package (and --shell-escape) or, if the eps figures are static, I just drop them onto TeXsho and the get converted to pdf automatically and I don't have to worry about them.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)