[OS X TeX] problem with texdoc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 27 19:28:13 CET 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Le 27 déc. 2010 à 18:33, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>

>> Am 27.12.2010 um 18:26 schrieb Alain Matthes:
>>
>>> What are the  differences between :
>>>
>>> updmap-sys and
>>
>> The first command is nonsense, when you are invoking it – because it's not you who owns the TeX installation(s). As user root, the owner of the TeX installation(s), you are allowed to it this way.
>>
>>> sudo updmap-sys ?
>>
>> With sudo you gain temporarily elevated privileges and can run commands as user root.

>>> If the folder was created by root, how I can use it ?
>>

>> After a
>>
>> 	sudo chown -R ego <the path to the root of the root problems>
>>
>> quite normally.
>>

> Yes I agree with you but I think very strange that root creates a folder inside my library with
> elevated privileges. Why in this case, this folder is not inside
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local or something like that ?
>
> Alain Matthes

Howdy,

Because you told it to by using the non-sys versions of the commands but using sudo. The non-sys versions of the commands are to create user specific information and writing to /usr/local/texlive/texm-local is for all users of the local system (which may only be you but there could be multiple user accounts on your system).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)