[OS X TeX] "! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined."

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:54:20 CET 2010

Hi, everyone.

This is not specifically a TeX on Mac question, so I hope you'll forgive my asking here.  I am, however, using TeX-Live 2009 in Mac OS X 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro.

I have a main file "narrowhom.tex" in which I use

\documentclass[11pt]{amsbook}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

[...]

%\includeonly{ch.numsys}
%\includeonly{ch.numthry}
%\includeonly{ch.solveeqn}
%\includeonly{ch.geom}

I compile using "latex narrowhom.tex" in X11 and view using xdvi.

If all the "includeonly" are commented out (like above), compiling does not present any obvious errors.

If "\includeonly{ch.numthry}" is uncommented, compiling also does not present any obvious errors.

However, if "\includeonly{ch.numsys}" or "\includeonly{ch.solveeqn}" or "\includeonly{ch.geom}" is uncommented, then I get errors like these:

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.182 \include{ch.numthry}

?

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'b' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.182 \include{ch.numthry}

?

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'temp' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.182 \include{ch.numthry}

?

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.184 \include{ch.geom}

?

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'b' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.184 \include{ch.geom}

?

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'temp' defined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.184 \include{ch.geom}

?

Do you have any idea to what these errors refer and where I should look to fix them?

(If there is a better or more appropriate place for me to ask this question, please guide me there gently.) :-)

Thanks.

---John.