[OS X TeX] Re: Latexian 1.0 Released

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 17:27:55 CET 2010

Le 9 déc. 2010 à 15:04, Juan Luis Varona a écrit :

> Dear Alain,
>
> [Sorry for my English, but I will try to explain the reasons]
>
>> I work with french or english files but I use only UTF8.
>> I don't understand why "%!TEX encoding" is very useful to avoid the chaos
>> of mixtures of encodings in the same file? For me it's the chaos to mix
>> several encodings.
>>
>> If you put %!TEX encoding = ...  you can mix encodings? I never try that but
>> if you are right is very fine.
>> Perhaps I need to read something about %!TEX ...
>
> I understand than utf8 is better. But my experience as editor-in-chief in
> La Gaceta de la Real Sociedad Matemática Española
>   http://www.rsme.es/gaceta
> says that approximately nobody uses utf8. Most mathematician do not
> know anything about enconding. Writing in Spanish, they use old
> accents \' (approximately 50%),

It's difficult to believe but ... ok
> latin1 (40%) or applemac (10%).
>
> These % is a approximation, and the reason of the 50 for \' is that,
> with winedt, you can write ordinary áéíóú (etc) but in the file it is saved
> with \' (and most or the mathematicians that uses this method
> do not know that they are using it, because another person has
> instaled and configured winedt in they computer).
>
> I must manage the files for the journal, I think that I have received
> a file with utf8 only once in three years!

This is unbelievable !!
But if you work with european mathematicians, you risk to manage
 all the variants of ISO-8859-x, x = 1, 2, ..., 15

ISO-8859-1 : Germany  Norway
ISO-8859-2 :  Česká republika
ISO-8859-3 ou 9 : Turkey

For Marc Bœgner in french with -œ- and not  -oe- you need
 ISO-8859-15  "e in o " don't exist in ISO-8859-1.

This a 	junk room a "capharnaüm" in french

> However, if the original file has
> % !TEX encoding = IsoLatin
> or
> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> TeXShop knows that it must follows this encoding when typing,

It is  not when compiling ?
> and
> the mixture does not happen.
>
> Yours,
>
> Juan Luis
>
> PD: Alain, Altermundus is "magnifique",
> but I suggest you to include
> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> in the files. In this way, to use your files will be easier for
> non-expert people with his editors configured (by default)
> with applemac or latin1. :-)

Yes you are right it's not a problem to add this line in all my files.
Generally I write
 % encoding utf8
 it will be more correct and salutary to write
% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

Best regards

Alain Matthes