[OS X TeX] Cocoaspell does not know common words

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1283225910.71a268 at shiftingbalance.org
Thu Aug 26 05:38:28 CEST 2010

Do you have any other instance of aspell running, ie., from the command line or in an editor like Emacs? There can sometimes be a conflict among which dictionaries are used if there are two instances of it running.

If you turn Cocaospell off, do you get the same problem? How about if you switch from the Cocoaspell dictionaries to the mac dictionaries on the fly, ie., in the pull-down during spell-checking?

On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:43 PM, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	I know. Another cocoaspell question. But I really can't figure this out, and it frustrates me.
>
> 	I am working on an article, and said article has a number of "big" words, like environmental, demonstrates, institutionally, comprehensive, introduction, and disagreement. When I use the English (Aspell) option in the Edit -> Spelling and Grammar pop-up window, all of these words are flagged as misspelled. These are not highly uncommon words, so it's quite frustrating to have to go through 12,000 words of text and have to "correct" all sorts of words that are spelled correctly, and which the spell-check gives exactly the same suggestion for the "incorrectly" spelled word. I, of course, want to use aspell because of the LateX checking capabilities.
>
> 	In the Cocoaspell System Prefs panel, I have the following dictionaries checked:
> Spanish
> English [variant_0]
> English [variant_1]
> English [variant_2]
> English
>
> 	Suggestions modes for all are "Normal" and the URL and TeX/LaTeX filters are checked.
>
> 	In the Text and Language panel, the Text tab has the Automatic by language Spelling option; aspell is set up to be the preferred (#1) English mechanism.
>
> 	Anyone have any ideas?
>
> 	Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Best,
> -Nathan A. Paxton
>
> ----------
> Nathan A. Paxton, Ph.D.
> Lecturer
> Dept. of Government, Harvard University
>
> napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
> http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
> When you have to stay eight years away from California,
> you live in a perpetual state of homesickness.
>         - Ronald Reagan
>
> The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.
> Aloud.
>         -Coco Chanel

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org