[OS X TeX] Re: FindContent (Re: How to make locate/spotlight search ...)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 12 17:42:02 CEST 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 11:24 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Vic Norton wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I've installed your FindContent, but I have the same problem with it that I had Claus Gerhardt's suggestion for locating content in /usr/local with Spotlight. FindContent cannot see /usr/local.
>>
>> In your readme.txt file you say
>>  To search for content of all areas indexed by Spotlight (which
>>  includes /usr/local ...
>> But that is the rub. My Spotlight (iMac, Mac OSX 10.6.4) has not indexed /usr/local nor do its preferences appear to give me any option to do so.
>>
>> So my question is this. How do I get Spotlight to index /usr/local on my machine? If I can accomplish this I am sure that I will be able to find "Walter Schmidt" in
>>  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/doc/fonts/lucida/readme.lucida
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Vic
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2010, at 7:06 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>>
>>> I uploaded a revised copy of the Automator service to
>>>
>>> http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/FindContent.dmg
>>>
>>> The enclosed readme provides the simple installation instructions. I made a number of revisions including the one pointed out by Claus, plus others that ensure there is a Terminal window open before attempting to write to it.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>

> Hi Vic,
>
> Obviously, I did not check the output with enough care. The new version posted at
>
>>> http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/FindContent.dmg
>
> has a readme that tries to explain the shortcomings of Spotlight indexing. I was fooled by the fact that it finds file names within /usr/local, and the fact that some time ago, I had copied /usr/local/texlive into /Users/shared so that Spotlight would index the entire system TeXLive trees.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Howdy,

And I was fooled to think that Spotlight indexed those directories because I tend to look up files by name and very rarely ever need to look for content. The Finder->Find (Cmd-F) with the System Files are included option set finds files in /usr/... by name only. Sigh...

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)