[OS X TeX] How to make locate/spotlight search ~/Library/texmf

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Tue Aug 10 19:41:19 CEST 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

>>> I'd guess that the locate database won't contain anything in the
>>> Users folder since that is private for each individual user.
>>> Perhaps there is a way to ell it to build a personal database.

>>> There is no relationship between them. The technology is different
>>> for the two things.
>>
>> Ok.  That makes sense then.  So is there a way to get Spotlight
>> command-space to index ~/Library/texmf?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Actually Spotlight does index everything but there is no way to make
> it show that information that I know of using the simple Cmd-Space.
> If you do a Cmd-F AND then click on Kind and pick Other and the
> select System Files (you can put that on the default list with a
> check box---that will save one step later) and then select `are
> included'' you can find those files. I wish there was a way to just
> have that turned on by default but I don't know of any.

Bummer.

>>> I've been using `Find Any File', <http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.html
>>
>> Yes, I have that too, but I'm lazy... For most quick searches
>> command-space is simply more convenient.  I'd just like to be able
>> to find things in my local texmf folder as easily.  If locate could
>> do that, that would be fine, since I've always got a terminal
>> window open; if it can't, I'd prefer to use Spotlight if possible.
>>
>> Alan
>
> And that's why I use `Find Any File'!

Sure, but they're far from functionally equivalent, since Find Any
File doesn't search on content.  So if I don't know the name of
something but I know what's inside it, I can't find it with that
tool.  Since that's my preferred searching method for many things,
using Find Any File just adds a third tool for me, so it's really a
last resort.

Thanks

Alan

--