[OS X TeX] How to make locate/spotlight search ~/Library/texmf

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Tue Aug 10 19:16:12 CEST 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> Hi,  I can use the locate command in a Terminal to quickly find
>> files in /usr/local/texlive.  However, it doesn't find files in ~/
>> Library/texmf.  How do I make it do that?
>>

> I'd guess that the locate database won't contain anything in the
> Users folder since that is private for each individual user. Perhaps
> there is a way to ell it to build a personal database.
>
>> Secondly, what's the relationship between the Spotlight search (via
>> Command-space) and the locate search database?  They clearly don't
>> find the same things, since /usr/local files never show up in the
>> Command-Space searches.  Is there a way to make them match?
>
> There is no relationship between them. The technology is different
> for the two things.

Ok.  That makes sense then.  So is there a way to get Spotlight
command-space to index ~/Library/texmf?

> I've been using `Find Any File', <http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.html
> >, and I'm quite happy with it.

Yes, I have that too, but I'm lazy... For most quick searches command-
space is simply more convenient.  I'd just like to be able to find
things in my local texmf folder as easily.  If locate could do that,
that would be fine, since I've always got a terminal window open; if
it can't, I'd prefer to use Spotlight if possible.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com